Homemade Hummus Wrap
In a previous blog I stated how much I like hummus. I still do and still make it at least once a week. Most of the time I eat it with veggies or crackers but the following wrap is one of my favorite lunchtime meals.
I'm not much into lunch meat, but I do like a good serving of protein for lunch and hummus is the perfect answer. This combination of ingredients is delicious and nutritious. Making your own hummus is super simple and I've included my favorite recipe for homemade hummus below.
Yummy Hummy Wrap
- Grated carrot
- Chopped apple
- Spinach leaves
- Whole grain wrap or tortilla
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Spread spinach across wrap.
- Cover with hummus.
- Layer grated carrots and apple.
- Add fresh ground pepper.
- Roll and eat!
Homemade Whipped Hummus
- 1 15 oz can good quality chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 - 1 cup water
- Put chickpeas and garlic in food processor and pulse a few times to form a thick paste.
- Add the tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. Process until somewhat smooth.
- Slowly add the water, blending until the hummus is smooth and light.
- Taste and add more salt if desired.
- Cover and chill for at least an hour. It will thicken a little as it sits.
Slym Cook says: I like my hummus very smooth and fluffy so I usually add most of the water and blend maybe 2-4 minutes. I don't always add the garlic and I think it is just as good without it. Using arugula in place of spinach is very tasty too.