Healthy Chicken Salad
The following recipe is the result of putting together the only 3 items that I had in my refrigerator, (other than eggs and condiments) plus a few ingredients from my pantry. I thought it was delicious and I would definitely eat it again, so I decided to make it a recipe and share it with you.
After being away all summer and not yet having replenished my refrigerator, I was down to a half can of chicken, a small chunk of goat cheese and half an apple. I used the goat cheese and a little olive oil in place of mayo and then checked the pantry for some 'add-ins'. This versatile chicken "spread" can be served with apples, veggies, crackers, pretzels, pita chips, on a sandwich, or in a wrap, and is virtually ready to eat in minutes.
Healthy Chicken Spread
- 1 5-6 oz can good quality white meat chicken, drained
- 1/4 cup goat cheese
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 T dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- 2 T honey roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Dried parsley flakes
- Break up the chicken with a fork; mix with goat cheese and olive oil until combined.
- Stir in cherries and peanuts.
- Add a pinch of salt and a little black pepper.
- Garnish with parsley flakes.
- Chill until ready to eat.
Makes 2 small servings
Slym Cook says: I enjoyed this for lunch with apples, but I also see it as a quick and healthy alternative to the usual high calorie/low nutrition party dips and spreads. I hope this post inspires you to create your own tasty dishes using what you have on hand rather then going to the store!