Over the past few years I have really come to appreciate chicken in a can! I don't eat much lunch meat, so chicken salad is the perfect solution. Like tuna, it is a great source of protein and all you really have to do is open a can.
Also like tuna, I find it to be dry without mayo. I have replaced most of the mayo with nonfat yogurt and added some lime juice and cilantro for a fresh clean flavor. If you love avocados like I do, and aren't afraid of the fat in them, you will love this take on chicken salad. Just make sure you use good quality white meat chicken.
Chicken, Avocado, and Cilantro Salad
- 2 13 oz cans of chicken
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped (less if desired)
- 1/4 cup minced onions, optional
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt (I use Fage)
- 2 T mayo (I prefer Hellmanns)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 t salt
- Dice avocado and stir with half the lime juice. Sprinkle with the salt.
- Put chicken in a mixing bowl and break up the large chunks with a fork.
- Whisk together yogurt, mayo, and the remaining lime juice.
- Add onion, cilantro, and dressing to chicken. Mix well.
- Gently stir in avocados.
- Refrigerate covered until ready to eat.
- Garnish with additional cilantro
- Serve with crackers, pita chips, in a wrap, or on a sandwich.
Sylm Cook says: You can easily half the recipe for fewer people. This is quite heavy on cilantro, so cut back to a half cup if you find it too much. It will keep pretty good overnight.