The most common form of stretching is static stretching. This is a movement in which a muscle is stretched beyond normal constraints and then held for a period of time to improve flexibility and elasticity of the muscles and joints. It is commonly accepted that this type of stretching should be done after exercise or when the muscles are warm. Many studies show each individual stretch should be held for 20 to 30 sec, for a total program of 10-20 minutes. This should be done 2-3 times per week to maintain the benefits stretching gives.
There are many benefits of stretching, with the most significant being improvements in flexibility and joint movement. Stretching helps maintain or even increase joint range of motion that is lost naturally as you age. Another benefit includes increased circulation to various parts of the body, which in turn stimulates as increase in energy and makes you feel less sluggish. Finally stretching can promote stress reduction, re-lengthen muscles that were tightened during exercise, and may help decrease the risk of future activity-based injury due to greater overall flexibility. To reap these benefits, your stretching program should be done on a consistent and regular basis.
If you do some research into stretching, you will see many varying opinions on both how and when to stretch, as well as the benefits thereof. However, one constant is that stretching is done by holding a position for a specific period of time. This may be 10 sec, 30 sec, or even 60 sec. The good news is that your Gymboss Interval Timer can be programmed for any period of time you desire. The Gymboss will keep your stretch hold times consistent and keep your entire stretching routine duration on track. Also, it has vibrate and low beep features that allows for non-obtrusive notification when it time to move to the next position. Finally, If you have a Gymboss miniMAX timer, you can plug-in your entire stretching program once and then save the program for fast access each time you’re ready to start.
• Should be done after exercise or when the muscles are warm
• Many studies show each stretch should be held for 20 to 30 sec
• Routine usually consists of a group of different positions in sequence
Benefits of Stretching
• Increased flexibility and range of motion
• Re-lengthen muscles that were tightened during exercise
• Decreased risk of future activity based injury
• Increased circulation
• Maintain joint range of motion as you age
• Stress reduction
Benefits of using a Gymboss with Stretching
• Gymboss is programmable for any period of time you desire
• Gymboss keeps stretch hold times consistent
• Gymboss keeps the entire stretching routine duration on track
• Vibrate and/or low beep feature allows for non-obtrusive notification to move to the next position
HERE IS AN EXAMPLE STRETCHING PROGRAM:
30 sec stretch, 20 rounds yields a 10 minute stretching program. We recommend adding in an additional 5 second to the interval duration on the timer to allow for changing form one stretch to the next. So in this example you would set the the stretch for 35 sec for 20 rounds. Remember, the Gymboss can be set for any period(s) of time and any amount of rounds you desire to give you the workout YOU want.